Friday, August 21, 2009

Muslimville Contest makes Ramadan Cool!

Asalaamu Alaikum

The Muslimville "Making my Ramadan Cool" contest is such a nice way to spend Ramadan. I remember as a child in the days coming up to Christmas, we'd have a little box and opened a door each day to reveal a chocolate to eat. It was a reward for patiently waiting for the holiday.

While I know that Muslims have now begun producing this type of thing for children to use after iftar during Ramadan, the activities in the Muslimville contest far outrun a chocolate a day.

Four programs in the contest focus on each of the main areas that Muslims should be improving themselves to get closer to Allah: Gaining good habits, charity, staying away from bad habits, and learning more about Islam.

My family is going to participate, and the class I teach on the weekends is in it's second year of participating.

I have already invited the Muslim homeschoolers of Ottawa to the contest, and whether or not you want to actually register, the materials for participating are sure to be of use during this blessed month. I create activities from time to time for my weekend class, and for my kids, so check the link to the HILAL class to download coloring pages and learning activities to use with your kids through Ramadan, and of course anytime in the year.

Alhamdulilleh Ramadan is finally here, and we can start working on ourselves. Our children are able and willing to do this too, so don't make the mistake of simply offering them sweets at iftar, but involve them in whatever you do to get closer to Allah, and then they can taste the sweetness of iman!

No comments:

Post a Comment